[aklug] Re: Perl 5 OOP

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 09:19:28 AKST

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua@eeinternet.com>:
>
>> I was interested in Ruby until I read that it was "Perl-ized LISP."
>> Then I decided to stay *VERY* far away. :)
>>

> I've never heard it explained this way...I don't know lisp very well =20
> to be able to make that comparison, however.
>
> Chris asked "What's so great about Ruby?". This kind of question =20
> smacks of the start of a language war, which I'm not capable of waging =20
> at this point.
>
> However, I will say why I like it. The following statements are not =20
> to be taken that the other languages don't have these features and =20
> that they are inadequate in some way.
>
> Just like Josh Kugler has his reasons for liking Python, Art has his =20
> reasons for liking Perl and Josh Rhoades has some other preference, I =20
> have my preference for Ruby.
>
> Some of the things I like about Ruby aren't really Ruby specific and =20
> I'm also sure that if I spent more time, I could find similar =20
> solutions in their perspective languages...so again...these are just =20
> my particular preferences.
>
> - The community has been more than friendly when asking questions. =20
> More specifically on this particular issue is that when I ask "stupid" =20
> questions, it usually gets answered with the info need along with the =20
> RTFM link.
>
> - I like that I can use Ruby as a scripting language, for larger =20
> style programs and for Web based programing. Again, this is true for =20
> most of the other languages.
>
> - I found the learning resources for Ruby to be plentiful and =20
> structured how I think.
>
> - I found implementing threads easy in Ruby...however, I've never =20
> even tried in other languages.
>
> - Ruby was my first OO language....I'm sure that has impact.
>
> Ruby does have its downfalls, some are:
>
> - It can eat up more memory when running than some of the others.
>
> - some of the syntax is kind of funky relative to other =20
> languages...so this could lead to some problems.
>
> - It isn't the fastest of the languages available.
>
> Moore's law have helped me with a two of the downfalls above, but =20
> that's no reason to not address those issues. I know that 1.9.1 has =20
> been moving towards fixing some of these issues.
>
> To Chris specifically: I'm never going to convince you to use Ruby. =20
> You'll have to do that yourself. I'd even suggest that if you have to =20
> be convinced, you shouldn't use it.
>
> However, I do think it is reasonable to try it on a few things and see =20
> how it works.
>
> There is hardly any time commitment by going to http://tryruby.org/ =20
> and working with it there.
>
> Overall, my reasons aren't very "technical" in nature....YMMV.
>
> Mike B.

Thank you for a response. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic or
argumentative. Just giving you an opportunity to tell me why you like Ruby.

I actually did go through one of the tryruby tutorials partially, and
I'll probably finish in a day or two. Didn't get in deep enough to tell
if I really liked it, but I did find some of the language to be rather
"funky," as you mentioned. This one was quite strange to me, for example:

Poem["Bob"] = "Tom"

Which apparently replaces the word Bob with Tom in the string Poem.
Kinda freaky, being quite used to square brackets being reserved for
arrays and hashes.

- --
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us