[aklug] grub 2 & windows 7

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 14:47:12 AKST

I installed windows 7 at the meeting last Friday. Stuck it on a partition I had set aside just for windows. Ubuntu was already installed. Once windows 7 was installed there was no booting back into Ubuntu.

1. Windows over rights the MBR and sticks the windows boot loader there...
2. Booted the Ubuntu Live CD
3. sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
4. sudo mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/dev
5. sudo chroot /mnt
6. grub-install /dev/sda
7. Ctrl+D
8. reboot
9. In ubuntu: sudo update-grub
10. reboot and hit shift to access the grub boot menu

I think grub 1 used Esc to access the boot menu. I had to search for the "shift" info on grub 2. The update-grub command detects all boot options including windows. It created the appropriate config file. Down side is that it adds a lot of junk to the grub menu. It works and I'm happy.

Hope this helps others...

--
Ubuntu User
Open Source Evangelist