[aklug] Re: I find this statement a bit worrisome

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 11:36:42 AKST

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:59 AM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
> Eric Schmidt made a statement that I'm quoting from slashdot:
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/12/08/0127219/Google-CEO-Says-Privacy-Wo=
rries-Are-For-Wrongdoers

> ... 'If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe
> you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.' =A0...
>
> Anyone else feel the same way? =A0This seems to be a very slippery slope
> he is going down.

I like to believe there is some truth to this in that we should not
have to hide or protect ourselves from eachother in any way.
Unfortunately we can't live by those rules. There are perfectly good,
perfectly legal, reasons for being a paranoid in our society, and our
universe.

If we ever, for some completely misguided reason, master complete
security as a society we will still have to deal with the universe
throwing gigantic chunks of rock at us, alien invasions, and the other
typical threats to mankind. I'd like to know we still have paranoia
in full force during those times.

- Shane