[aklug] Re: I find this statement a bit worrisome

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 09:48:30 AKST

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Arthur Corliss said something like:
>
>> This isn't a question about morality or ethics, it's a question about
>> a constitutional right to privacy.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Protection against unlawful search and seizure? Yup, but constitutional
> right to privacy? Unless I'm forgetting my constitution (which is
> entirely possible, it's been a while since I read it through), it's not
> in there. If you are putting information into a public forum
> (Facebook, Wave, etc), then you have no expected privacy. If they are
> poking into your e-mail, well, then, that's still an issue the courts
> have not made 100% clear. Yes, it's "private communication," but it's
> going over lines somebody else owns, so...caveat emailor. :) PGP FTW!

Wasn't there a case recently where they deemed that the encryption keys
weren't "protected speech" and that they had to turn it over to the
authorities? Encryption FTL!

I'm not sure what I'd do in an instance where I had my laptop siezed
(which has an encrypted disk) and they threatened to put me in the clink
if I didn't turn over the encryption key. I've mused before that if I
were to take a laptop on a flight out of the country, to wipe and
re-install my laptop's OS and put a ton of 'lorem ipsum' files on there.

--
Adam