[aklug] Access to my data

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 10:12:37 AKST

I go between laptop, desktop, and workstations at school. Access to my data has been a crazy nightmare.

1. Where is my data?
2. What version do I have?
3. Will I lose it? (think usb stick)
4. Will someone else have access to it?

My current solution is JungleDisk and TureCrypt.

JungleDisk syncs my "Documents" directory on my laptop to a directory on a JungleDisk bucket called share1. I used TrueCript to create an encrypted drive on a USB stick. Inside this encrypted drive I have JungleDisk. This allows me to access my "Documents" directory from the Windows workstations at school. Any changes to the "Documents" directory on JungleDisk is synced with the Documents direcotry on my laptop at the next boot. Assuming I have Internet access.

Data on JungleDisk is encrypted with a pass phrase. This pass phrase is kept in the config file. That's why I have JungleDisk encrypted on my USB stick.

Automated backups are done every Friday at 8am or any time after that. A backup was just done a few minutes ago. There is a log on the JungleDisk website. I also get an email so there's no need for me to see the website.

My next goal is to clean up the workstation and install JungleDisk. Once that's done I'll have secure access to my data from just about anywhere.

I know people have issues with cloud computing and data. As long as JungleDisk doesn't have my pass phrase I don't think they can access my data. Oh, all the data is stored on Amazons S3 service.

If anyone objects to this use of cloud computing let me know. I want access to my data from anywhere. I also want to keep it safe.

--
Ubuntu User
Open Source Evangelist