[aklug] Re: Linux certification

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Mon Nov 30 2009 - 14:52:05 AKST

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I'll check it out later tonight. Maybe I'll write
> me some bash shell scripts. When I find a free moment to do so.

I've always learned best by looking at examples, so when I was just
getting started in shell scripting I spent lots of time going over the
/etc/rc* boot scripts. Tons of great real-world examples there, and
usually fairly well commented (unless you're on Nevaeh Linux, in which
case just forget about trying to understand what the boot scripts are
trying to do, because no human can understand them. ;-) ).

Using those examples I would then write simple little scripts to verify
that my understanding of something was correct. For example, for if/then
things I might've done something like:

#!/bin/sh
TEST="yes"
#TEST="no"