[aklug] Re: Ought to be fun - Microsoft has patented "sudo"

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 18:51:24 AKST

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 07:18 -0900, Mike Gonnason wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think Microsoft is doing entirely too much intrusion in general.
> >
> > I was trying to help my younger brother in accessing
> > www.anchoragelive.com earlier today. His browser, IE7, wouldn't let him
> > go there. It kept giving him a message about some sort of Microsoft site
> > checker (I don't remember the name) being off-line so the browser was
> > unable to verify that it was OK for him to go to that particular
> > web-site. This continued after I had already tried telling IE this was a
> > trusted site.
> >
> > I didn't realize Microsoft had set themselves up as the internet police
> > and had the final say in where we can and can't go.
> >
> > What's next? All sites having anything to do with Linux or FOSS will now
> > be off limits to anyone running Internet Explorer? Will IE users only be
> > allowed to get their news from MSNBC?

> >> Well, at least its nice to see Microsoft being creative for a change.
> >> Rather than threatening to sue us for patent violations we never
> >> committed, they'll just threaten to sue us for using products we created
> >> decades ago. How novel.
> >>
> >> Sigh... I'm getting tired of all the Linux users I run into online who
> >> think that we should find a "balance" between proprietary software and
> >> FOSS, and that Microsoft is some kind of neutral organization we should
> >> work more closely with.
> >>
> >> - --
> >> Christopher Howard
> >> http://indicium.us
> >> http://theologia.indicium.us
> >
> > ---------
> >

> For what it is worth, Google Chrome has a "site checker" built into it
> also. However in the warning it offers you the option to continue to
> the site. Even Google's search engine has that feature when you click
> on a link in the results.

A "Site Checker" that I have to click on is one thing. Having stuff pop
up in my face when my mouse happens to stray is another.

> As for the sudo issue, it doesn't seem to be directly aimed at sudo
> itself, but it may affect some newer technologies. Arstechnica has
> some decent coverage of the issue:

I don't think I agree with ars technica that a user using sudo is
operating as a different user. If the user is "su"ing to a different
user, that would be operating as a different user. Of course, even then
the user is using an elevation of current rights to be able to change to
a different user.

Using sudo is claiming "super-user" rights as the same user. The user's
default paths don't even change. This looks to me like an elevation of
rights.