[aklug] Re: wireless on airlines

From: Ben Everitt <ben.everitt@acsalaska.net>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 09:01:12 AKST

Mike,

From an engineering perspective I thought the same thing. However, when
my Dad flies his cub from Anchorage to Kodiak he only looses signal for
5-10 minutes right in between Homer/Kodiak. This impressed me. I don't
know if he was riding atmo bounce or what, but the coverage at ~5,000'
is impressive as well as the sound quality. ....no external antenna
either. I can't imaging that there is many towers past Homer; obviously
that's way past the 12 mile range folks quote for a tower. I bet the
antenna's on the ridge are pretty focused to blanket the bay.

Though I doubt this counts as in-flight internet. : p

-Ben