[aklug] Re: Interesting story about privacy

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 22:29:48 AKST

I tend to think the real root of the problem here is that as everyone on
this list already knows, email is about as private as a postcard.

When you say it in an email, you might as well be saying it standing on
a soapbox at the corner of 4th and Main. When you say something in a
public place, there is no expectation of privacy to begin with. When
there is no expectation of privacy, the 4th Amendment has no
application.

Yes Mike, I think we should be encrypting. We should have been doing so
long ago. One state, Nevada, has already started requiring the use of
encryption when electronically sending confidential client information.
Should we be any less careless with our own information?

Sorry to climb on my high horse about this, but it's something that has
been irking me for a while.

Yes, I have tried setting up encryption, but it does no good in a
vacuum. If I remember correctly, Damien and I could exchange private
emails. Whoopee!!

Jim G