[aklug] New things in the kernel and Grub2

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 19:49:38 AKDT

So I just upgraded one of my machines to Ubuntu Karmic (9.10). Karmic =20
is currently using 2.6.31-14.

One of the features is doing graphical initialization during boot up.

Look here for some possible reasons why:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/8242

Unfortunately for me, this caused my intel 82830 CGC to flash like =20
crazy and display in a skewed fashion.

After some searching around, I stumbled into this setting, 'nomodeset' =20
as part of the kernel command line.

So now the kernel command line looks something like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic =20
root=3DUUID=3D4d521f0e-7c3b-4db9-9233f678faac7654 ro quiet splash nomodeset

The other change that I ran into is that Grub2 is being used (1.97~beta).

This made modifying the grub config a little bit harder. Now you have =20
to edit the /etc/default/grub and run the 'update-grub' command.

'nomodeset' turns off the kernel graphics features, but was required =20
for my particular install.

Anyone else run into anything interesting?

Mike B.