[aklug] Re: Dell 10 vs 10v

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 11:50:14 AKDT

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
> Quoting Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>:
>
>> Jeremy Austin wrote, on 10/16/2009 8:49 AM:
>>> =A0From what I understand the 10v is basically the 9 with some
>>> modifications. The 10v makes a fairly good hackintosh -- I have one.
>>
>> One of the main Hackintosh devs recently switched to the 10v as his
>> primary dev platform.
>
> What about performance? =A0Is it reasonably good performer as a hackintos=
h?

> BTW, what are the limitations with the hackintosh setup?
>
> Mike B.

Mike, in general a hackintosh limitation is that there's no guarantee
that a security or driver update from Apple won't break something.
This is my first hackintosh, so I don't know how well it performs.
Informally I'd say it's fairly good, comparing it to Windows XP and
Windows 7. Probably better. I don't run desktop Linux, so can't speak
to that.

Back to Leopard: observe this fairly up-to-date compatibility chart:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html

A common feature is lack of video drivers, network, audio, proper
sleep support and more, even with hacking. Some netbooks just need a
few components swapped. But there are very few models, like the 10v,
that work almost out of the box. An installation DVD and this

http://code.google.com/p/netbook-installer/

are all that's needed for the mini 10v. All gui-based save for one cli
command I had to Google.

jermudgeon