[aklug] Re: Speech-dispatcher

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 11:40:41 AKDT

My Fedora box has that as well, I'd never noticed.

I am kind of curious as to why? I had run across that at that sometime
in the past when I was looking at speech recognition, but that tool was
part of speech synthesis.

The reason I'm trying to figure out why we have is is that I thought it
required a speech synthesizer (hardware) to work and I haven't
physically seen one of those since the '80s. Not a common piece of
hardware as far as I know. Then again, Linux boxes seem to be set up to
talk to a lot of devices I'd either never heard of or saw no way I'd
ever have MY hands on.

Maybe there's some way of doing a virtual synthesizer with common sound
systems?