[aklug] Re: hard drive issues

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 13:05:35 AKDT

The only stuff I found on Google was circa 2004/2005 and discounted it
because of how many years ago it was, but a couple of people at FriLinux
seemed to think the situation was unchanged.

Hard drive manufacturers were being lumped in with wireless router
manufacturers like Linksys in the way that they put out firmware
upgrades for their routers that don't fix the problems they claim to
fix, but you go to something like dd-wrt (ala, Greg and his recent
experiences with a WRT-54G Linksys) and the problems do go away. They
were reluctant to believe the hard drive manufacturers had ever actually
done anything to fix the SMART issues of a few years ago.

My first experiences w/ drives making use of SMART are fairly recent so
I'm not certain where I actually stand on it.

I did have a similar experience with a WRT-54 (no G) last year, so I can
sympathize. It kept dropping everyone and would have to be restarted.
Foolish me, one of the few times it didn't occur to me to Google the
situation first. I had put in all the mfg firmware upgrades that were
available, but the problem didn't go away. I decided the hardware was
bad and trashed it. I later tripped across information on the web that
these routers were known for this in spite of firmware upgrades and the
cure was ... wait for it ... dd-wrt (or similar).

If one looks at the Spinrite documentation, they speak of making quite a
bit of use of SMART in diagnosing the drive.

The number of hours SMART said my drive had run didn't exactly make
sense and may have been getting misreported, but the overall situation
seemed to match up and make sense.