[aklug] Re: Do I need a new drive?

From: Jenkinson, John P \(SAIC\) <John.Jenkinson@bp.com>
Date: Mon Oct 05 2009 - 10:55:54 AKDT

depends
usually
usually people we know have one or more backups so data recovery in case
of=20
a disk failure isn't an issue.
usually replacement drives cost vs. continuing or potentual of
continuing problems
or wasted time scaning and repairing disks drives make replacement the
economic choice.

i attended a 1 week disk drive repair course recently. this material is
for the case
of no backup (a friend of relative who does not have a backup). not any
of us, of course.
ther were a lot of techiques for recovering data and repairing drives
for those cases.
in those cases doing scans is the last thing you want to do. again this
is in the case
wher you don't have a backup and need to recover the data, forensics,
etc.

might make a good presentation?=20