[aklug] Ubuntu 9.10 is not ready for general use

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Sun Oct 04 2009 - 12:04:39 AKDT

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 beta 1 on Friday. I'm running into a few annoying issues. When I log in an error message pops up saying my hard drive is going bad. I don't believe it is. My wireless card didn't work after the install. Spent yesterday afternoon updating and searching for a fix. Turns out I needed to install the package "bcmw-kernel-source". Then I ran into audio issues. No audio while watching youtube videos. Seems to be working now.

The Ubuntu developers made a change to the audio system or what ever they call it these days. Totally different interface. I think its kinda broken at the moment. I'll have to ask about this one.

I'm sure the wireless troubles will be fixed when they release 9.10. Greg suggested I needed firmware. Turns out he was right. I'm guessing that's why the "bcmw-kernel-source" package wasn't installed by default. Normally Ubuntu will detect all your hardware after install. If there are any devices that need non free drivers it will ask you. You have to agree to the license.

While there were no major issues, one has to jump through a few hoops to get things working. I think Ubuntu 9.10 beta 1 is for those that know what they're doing. Maybe beta 2 will be awesome ;)

--
Ubuntu User
Open Source Evangelist