[aklug] Re: Interesting Software

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 18:50:41 AKDT

* Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv> [2009-09-28 21:17 -0500]:
> I'm currently using dokuwiki. Works well enough for my needs. How are
> you using git as the "backend"?

Well, one of the primary features I was looking for when trying to find
a wiki was avoiding a 'new' method of storing revisions. To quote from
its website, one of ikiwiki's features is it, "Uses a real RCS":

<quote href="http://ikiwiki.info/features">
Rather than implement its own system for storing page histories etc,
ikiwiki uses a real Revision Control System. This isn't (just) because
we're lazy, it's because a real RCS is a good thing to have, and there
are advantages to using one that are not possible with a standard wiki.

Instead of editing pages in a stupid web form, you can use vim and
commit changes via Subversion, git, or any of a number of other Revision
Control Systems.
</quote>

This dovetailed nicely with another of my goals, which was not using an
SQL database to store the wiki's data.

> Is that the way you update the wiki?

One of the ways. I can either update the text files (in Markdown [1]
format by default) using my favorite text editor in the git repository,
or I can edit the files using the web form. I find this particularly
useful when I do not have the ability to ssh into my linux server.

[1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

Really, this is the first wiki software that I didn't immediately get
irritated with, primarily because I can always fall back on my vim-fu
to make changes/create pages rather than simply cursing the web form.

If you have any questions about everyday usage, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]