[aklug] Re: Linux Counter Project

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 08:36:39 AKDT

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Shane R. Spencer wrote:

> Now here's a project for AKLUG.. Create a better machine-update script
> that doesn't rely on SMTP but instead uses HTTP first. Something that
> can auto-generate a new machine ID as well. perl-mechanize or
> python-mechanize would work durn well.

You're overlooking the obvious benefit of the SMTP method: built-in
queue'ing mechanism, so you can batch process updates as you get the cycles,
rather than overload an already overloaded web server.

In any event, I'm sure Harald would consider any code donations, especially
given the paltry # of machines actually running the script. I don't run it
myself.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die