[aklug] Re: Netbook Purchase

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 09:25:35 AKDT

I think that the Mini-10v was a good decision. If I were to buy
another netbook, it would likely be a 10v. Good features and power for
the price. You can, of course, get "more" if you're wiling to spend
more. But at the $300 pricepoint the 10v is hard to beat.

I have 2 Mini-9 netbooks, one for me and one for my wife. My mother
has another. All run Ubuntu. Mine runs Jaunty+proposed, and theirs run
Dell's lpia-compiled Hardy 8.04.2. We love them.

The only downside that I see for the 10v is that it is a more
complicated tear-down to access the ram to upgrade it to 2gb, but it
is socketed (unlike the 10, which is soldered), and you'll only need
to do this once. I don't believe that there is an alternate keyboard
for the 10v; the 9 has an alternate international keyboard which is
much preferred in the "9" linux community but the 10 doesn't need it
(or so I'm told) because it isn't missing any keys and the layout is
more "standard".

The Best Buy techy guys are complete morons. Don't trust them. My
netbook, the one with Jaunty, runs XP (tinyxp rev09) in a 512mb
virtualbox container with Office 2007 Enterprise Edition. Word and
Excel have ZERO problem running in this environment. If there is a
problem with MS Word under real XP, it would be the fault of XP and
not Word. I'm actually very impressed with how well the Office 2007
apps run in a minimal-ram virtual guest environment.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Christopher Howard