[aklug] Re: Documentation

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 22:21:18 AKDT

Damien Hull wrote:
> Documentation should include the following:
>
> 1. Specific information about the software and Linux distribution like vers=
> ion information
> 2. Step by step instructions
> 3. Examples=20
> 4. Others must be able to follow the instructions and end up with software =
> that is correctly installed
>
> I think one of our goals as a group should be a professional look or appear=
> ance. Documentation could help. I think it looks bad when long time Linux u=
> sers ask about multimedia support. How do I install Flash? We should know t=
> his by now. Not for every distribution but the one we use on a regular basi=
> s.=20
>
> It won't look good if people come to our meetings and her people ask questi=
> ons about Flash. We should have the installation process down.
>
> 1. I do this
> 2. I do this
> 3. I do this
>
> What ever that might be for your distribution. I don't like Microsoft but I=
> know where not going to convince people to switch if it takes so called ex=
> perts forever to install it.=20
>
> I'll bring a my version of multimedia documentation to the Friday lab sessi=
> on. It will be Ubuntu specific. What else is there?=20
>
> Feel free to comment.=20

Nearly all distros out there have some kind of central repository for
installation documentation. If you have a strong interest in creating
documentation for your distro, I think the best thing to do would be to
submit documentation to your distro's website, or update the
documentation they already have.

My two cents: If we were actually try to make AKLUG into some kind of
front-end for new users, the best idea would not be to create a new
database full of documentation for every distro. Rather, we should
create a database full of /links/ to documentation for every distro. For
example, we could have a page that said: "Here are brief descriptions of
each distro. For more information about installing distro A, go to such
and such web page." Or "Need help getting flash installed in distro B?
Go to such and such web page."

Then it would just be a matter of keeping things organized and pruning
out dead links every so often.

- --
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us
I digitally sign all of my e-mails via PGP. If you receive any e-mails
supposedly from me without my valid PGP signature, please take
additional steps to verify the authenticity of the message.