[aklug] Re: Basic Linux information

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 14:34:10 AKDT

On Wednesday 16 September 2009, jonr@destar.net wrote:
> Email
> Flash
> PDF Viewer
> Java
> Shockwave
> DVD and Movie player (MPlayer, Xine, Totem)
> MP3 player and on RH systems how to get mp3's to work.
>

> Installation will be different for each flavor of Linux so I don't see
> how that will work, unless you do it for all and then keep them up to
> date.
>
> These should all work out of the box, it is what they will expect
> coming from a Windows environment. Any thing less and we will lose
> them back to the dark side.
>
> Why use Linux and not Windows or Mac?
>
> Because it's free? Who cares when it is so complicated that a new user
> would gladly pay for something that just works.
>
> We would need to decide on one distro and that be the one that all of
> AKLUG recommends for any new user. When a new user asks "Which distro
> should I use?" and then gets 4 different answers with varying reasons,
> that doesn't answer the question. All of the above apps need to be in
> a base install of whatever distro is decided upon.
>
> Any thing less and it will fail.
>

> Jon
>
> Quoting Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>:
> > This goes along with documentation but I thought I would start a
> > fresh thread.
> >
> > I think we should have some basic Linux information we can offer
> > people.
> >
> > 1. installation instructions
> > 2. How to backup data
> > 3. How to keep data safe (encryption)
> > 4. OpenOffice info
> > 5. Photo editing info
> >
> > Stuff people can use... Just a thought

Lets not re-invent a wheel here. For example, Ubuntu forums are huge,
afaikt, full of windows users looking to switch , as painlessly as
possible. Just point the folks who want us to do it for them to Ubuntu
(give them a disk) and a link to the Ubuntu forums. The rest fall prey
to the Friday Nite @ Highland Tech saturnalia :-)

--
Peace
Greg Madden