[aklug] Re: Mike B router issue

From: Jeff <jeff@arcticpc.com>
Date: Sat Sep 05 2009 - 16:30:25 AKDT

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:09:01 -0800
Jim Courtney <courtney@ieee.org> wrote:

PPPoE 1454 byte Frame:

TCP/IP Payload 1454
PPP Headers +2
PPPoE Headers +6
Ethernet Headers +18

Total Frame Size 1480

1480 / 48 bytes= 30 cells plus a 40 byte remainder

Thus, the first 30 cells will contain 48 bytes of user data, and the last cell will 40 bytes of data, plus the 8 byte SAR Trailer. Since the frame and associated ATM overhead fit exactly in to 31 cells, a 1454 byte MTU eliminates all ATM cell padding overhead.........

frame size when using a 1492 byte MTU, is actually 1518 bytes.

Stolen from the internet somewhere

Jeff  <jeff@arcticpc.com>