[aklug] Re: Regarding Robot Kits

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Sep 04 2009 - 11:03:51 AKDT

Marc Grober wrote:
> What are your requirements:
> What is you core focus (programming, remote sensing, remote control,
> real time systems, etc)
> Do you require motion and if so, to what degree/extent?
> What are your expectations as far as hardware to be allocated per person
> and can you work as teams as opposed to working as individuals.
> Who is paying for what (i.e. are students expected to pay for their own
> stuff or is the college going to step up at all)
> To what degree might collaboration and the benefits therefrom be
> acceptable (for example, involvement in FIRST)
> What is a reasonable budget per "box o stuff" from which to build?
>
> Seems that I heard that people at the U were using bebots, which are
> very nice as far as simple platforms for electronics point of view,
> while for example NXT might be much friendlier from programming point of
> view - and lots of intriguing other options..... what you are trying
> to teach/accomplish can arguably be enhanced by the nature of the
> platfrm you choose.

The primary focus is remote control / real time. We programmed the
robots to move in response to input, programmed a server to send input
to the robots (via bluetooth,) and programmed a web interface to give
users a graphical UI which sends commands to the server (move robot
forward, close grippers, that sort of thing). So the users don't get to
build the robots, or program them directly, just us.

The goal is to allow the user to gain experience with the unique
challenges of controlling a robot remotely to accomplish preset tasks.
(Challenges like dealing with video lag, trying to manipulate things
with robot arms, and such like.)

By bebots, did you mean Boebots? We've been using Boebots for a while,
but we are sick of them because they cannot multi-task, and they have
limited power and accessories.

As far as budget, I may be able to get as much as $2000. I was thinking
maybe by a lego NXT with a bunch of accessories, and then another
different kind of robot kit with a bunch of accessories. $300 for a
robot kit (not including additional accessories) seems reasonable,
though I'd definitely consider a more expensive kit if it looked good.

One of my concerns about the Lego NXT, though, is it looks like they
have primarily focused on making it programmable through a LabView
based-GUI IDE only available for Windows/Mac. I'm wondering how
difficult it would be to get all the accessories working if I programmed
it not using the IDE.

- --
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us
I digitally sign all of my e-mails via PGP. If you receive any e-mails
supposedly from me without my valid PGP signature, please take
additional steps to verify the authenticity of the message.