[aklug] Re: Security hole in installs of Ubuntu.

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 21:20:09 AKDT

Hardly news, hardly news at all. It was "news" to that guy in 2007, but
when I started using linux in ~1998, it wasn't really news then, either.
(it was just harder with the lack of live CDs and bootable USB thumb
drives.) It applies pretty much to any distro of linux, and at least
solaris (since I use that, too.) It be assumed that it applies to *BSD
as well.

The grub password is hardly a protection either, since I could pop in a
boot cd, get a shell, mount your drives, change your password, reboot,
and have root. But as soon as I mount your drives, I've got you.

Want to avoid all that? Encrypt all your drives, but then you can't
reboot your box remotely and have it come up, it'll ask you for that
pesky password.