[aklug] Re: Home server static issues

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 17:46:50 AKDT

Come on :) - My box wasn't smoked. It was just building up a static
charge and freezing up.

I have seen a similar situation to what you are describing though. 60 mA
current loop with a floating ground situation.

Current loop is a serial communication system that predates RS232. It
was mostly used with teletype, but was also common on computers into the
early 80s. This network was from one building to another.

One building was an older one with the 2 prong electrical outlets. They
used a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter. Those ones with the little pigtail
you're supposed to attach to the cover plate screw to give you a ground,
assuming of course someone had bothered to properly ground the
electrical box the outlet was in.

In this case, the box was properly grounded, but someone couldn't be
bothered with the pigtail. They just cut it off.

I don't know what the electrical difference was between the 2 systems
was at the time of the problem, but that 20 ga wire did not like playing
ground for everything in the one building. Luckily it was properly
opto-isolated, through no fault of the installer, so all that was lost
was the wire, current loop power supply, and end connectors.