[aklug] Re: Linux - Windows Update Server

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 15:09:44 AKDT

This has always been an issue in my networks (seeing as mine is yours at the moment, I feel obliged
to respond). I started working on a Django app called MirrorPool but it didn't take form. The goal
was to cache nearly anything. Initially jesred via squid was going to redirect to the MirrorPool
server. I hadn't decided which method I wanted. I'm open to suggestions on how to logically
operate a cache. Ideally the cache would store the MD5 and SHA1/256 sums of all content downloaded
and do proper pool type detection. For an APT respository the Content/Packages files will help the
software auto configure an APT based repository. If the software understands the Contents and
Packages files which contain sums then precached packages will be used if the sums match up. This
to me means that domain or IP destinations containing nearly identical package repositories will end
up sharing a lot of data in the local cache without any problems. This has the unfortunate drawback
that the MirrorPool server ends up auditing the debian/ubuntu/etc.. pools on behalf of the client
which may not be kosher in some situations.

Any suggestions? The primary goal of this project was to simply store files that match a pattern
and serve out multiple requests from a single download process (since 20 windows machines can all
try to download the same file at the same time which squid fails to handle correctly).

Anybody else noticed that Windows updates often use the same filenames for different updates? Why
would they do that? Its evil!

- Shane