[aklug] Re: Linux - Windows Update Server

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 14:12:10 AKDT

I looked at a client side solution once upon a time, setting all the products to
update via an MSI store on my unix store, but that is a far cry form an active
server side system that polls and maintains a data set (and users were always
freaked when their machines started doing stuff when they opened an app........
I think you could do this by pointing all your computers to a proxy cache while
you used one computer to force uploads to the cache, but that's not a very sexy
solution ;=}

I have been told that zenworks does the deed best, but it is not free.... but
then nothing really is......
http://www.novell.com/products/zenworks/configurationmanagement/

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting Kevin Browning <psksb1@uaa.alaska.edu>:
>
>> Have any of you successfully created a Windows Update server in linux?
>>
>> I have a lot of windows machines that need updates and I would like to have
>> the updates on the LAN. I have an OS X server that stores updates for our OS
>> X machines which is a huge time saver.
>>

> After googling around a little I found this interesting article:
>
> http://www.wsuswiki.com/ContentOnNetworkDrive
>
> Although it doesn't directly solve your problem, you might be able to
> make use of it.
>
> Mike B.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s