[aklug] Home server static issues

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 14:01:39 AKDT

I had been working an setting up a server at home. From Amahi.org.

It's a Linux based competitor for the Windows home server. Kind of
slick, you should check it out. It is only set up to serve what's behind
the gateway and not intended to face the Internet, although there are
VPN tunneling provisions.

I set it up on an older Dell Dimension 4100. P3 933 (I think) w/ 512 MB.
I've had it running a few weeks, but hadn't really done anything with it
at yet as I seemed to be having some stability issues with my setup. The
box would freeze randomly and I hadn't been able to keep it up more than
about 48 consecutive hours.

I was about to write off the box as having a hardware issue, probably
due to it's age. Maybe a bad mobo or some such. Decided to Google the
box and see if anyone else had had similar issues with that model.

I seems these boxes have a susceptibility to static. Leave them sitting
on a good quality carpet with a high wool content in it coupled with a
low humidity climate like we have here and it can get enough static
build-up just from people walking across the carpet, that it builds up a
charge and just freezes.

I put it up on about 2 inch blocks to get it off the carpet and it seems
like it may be cured. It has been up about 5 days running now.

Check you outlet as well and make certain it is properly wired and
grounded. Mine was, but I have seen them where they weren't.

Jim G