[aklug] Re: acknowledgment for foss

From: Mike Bishop <mbishop@mtaonline.net>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 12:39:52 AKDT

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 06:00:57PM -0800, Douglas McIntosh wrote:
> The book is Sustainable Energy - without the hot air and the author,
> David J.C. MacKay mentions after a long list of contributors:
>
> "This book is written in Latex on the Ubuntu GNU/Linux operating system
> using free software. The figures were drawn with gnuplot and metapost.
> Many of the maps were created with Paul Wessel and Walter Smith's gmt
> software. Thank you also to Martin Weinelt and OMC. Thank you to Donald
> Knuth, Leslie Lamport, Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds, and all those
> who contribute to free software."
>
> Douglas

Unless I missed it, you forgot to mention that the book is available
as a download from his web-site.

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/
or
http://www.withouthotair.com/

I downloaded the lower resolution version. It's a good read, at
times very amusing. Possibly a little "Brit specific" for a US
audience.

Rgds,

--
Mike Bishop