[aklug] Re: Interesting article on malware for linux

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 23:08:38 AKDT

I'm having a hard time understanding why Gnome or KDE is at fault any
of the listed malicious methods.

If your computer is plugged into a network and a user is allowed to
access it.. it is insecure.

You can tighten it up and make it unusable for general purpose
computing.. but for the majority that isn't a solution. You're wide
open once you install any Linux distribution, even if you enabled the
firewall during the install you can still make outbound network
requests that do malicious things to your system. You can still
install software that does idiotic things to your computer. Etc..
That's why I prefer using debian/ubuntu and have a lot of faith that
the packages I get aren't going to completely pwn my system.. and more
faith that the md5sum signature for each package will keep me from
installing man in the middle softwarez. Which it does. Linux..
Windows.. Solaris.. you name it.. each operating system seems to be
incredibly susceptible to the whims of the end user. :)

- Shane