[aklug] Re: GIMP question, or two

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 14:07:30 AKDT

Douglas McIntosh wrote:
> The flip tool -
> After selecting a rectangle, flipping the selection causes the outline
> of the selection to be flipped. To flip the contents of the selection
> you want to click on the 'layer' option. This creates a floating
> selection. Clicking on 'Layer/Anchor Layer' reassembles the picture with
> the flipped rectangle in place.
>
> Cutting from layers -
> To move part of a picture to another location you _copy_ and paste.
> Make your selection with the rectangle tool for example. Do ctrl-C to
> copy to the clipboard. Click where you want the selection to go. Then
> click ctrl-V to make a floating selection. Then click on 'Layer/Anchor
> Layer' to insert it into the picture.
>
> When you try the various options use ctrl-Z to backtrack and try
> something else. GIMP is not always intuitive and some experimentation is
> necessary to get what you want. I just finished modifying digital maps
> to show the path of an upcoming canoe trip and I learned a lot about
> GIMP. Also had to upgrade memory from 768 MB to 4 GB. This made a big
> improvement in speed.

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a try.

> I'd like to see more discussion of Linux tools on this list. The systems
> administration chatter goes right over my head.

Those sys admin types can't help it. They've spent so much of their
lives wedged between idealistic programmers, ignorant end users, and
heartless management that it has warped their minds, and their dialect.

> Douglas
>
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 10:46:49AM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> Hi. Is there anyone on this list who is fairly well-versed in GIMP? I'm
>> trying to learn GIMP so I can use it do draw sprites for the new
>> computer game I want to code. GIMP seems pretty cool, but there are
>> occasionally a few bumps I run into trying to figure out some seemingly
>> non-intuitive interface behavior. Here are today's questions:
>>
>> 1. The Flip Tool: I am trying to use it like the tutorials say: I make a
>> selection with the Rectangle tool, click on the Flip Tool, click the
>> "Selection" option in the dialog, select "Horizontal", and then click on
>> the selection. But instead of flipping the selection, it makes another
>> selection appear on the other side of the screen. (?)
>>
>> 2. Cutting from layers: When I want to move a part of the picture to
>> another location, the only way I know how to do this is cut and paste.
>> However, when I cut (Ctrl-x), that chunk of the layer becomes
>> transparent. This would be fine, except GIMP won't let me fill that part
>> of the layer back in. I think I am not understanding something about how
>> this is supposed to work.

- --
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us

I digitally sign /all/ of my e-mails via PGP. If you receive any e-mails
supposedly from me without my valid PGP signature, please take
additional steps to verify the authenticity of the message.