[aklug] Re: Samba and OSX

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 15:36:12 AKDT

Once I figured out AFP that was simplest for OS X.... really didn't have much
problem as far as locking but didn't have cross read writes much.... mostly
configured as linux based dropbox for OS X using students.... Didn't use for
profiles etc as to me that made little sense based on what was already in place
at ASD (you know what I mean....) Perhaps biggest problem was that netatalk
(1.6) was a bit behind and documentation had some gaps.... with the current
version I'd think you'd have great success using netatalk over tcp/ip
I have seen some discussion that the "solution" to the problem is using a
commercial client, LOL, such as DAVE.... I guess at the core you are
undoubtedly right that this is a "not my problem" problem and will likely NOT
get fixed......

So why not abandon smb (not the best way to share anything anyway....) since you
are talking about OS X clients and linux server and use NFS/NFSManager.... I
found NFS a much better solution in most cases where I wanted to automount,
especially if there are common user IDs, and I was automounting software to OS X
clients via NFS without any problems.....

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>:
>
>> That was one reason I ran AFP, smb, and nfs; the overhead from the
>> daemons was minimal as compared to simplifying access from different
>> platforms....
>>
>> Even ms os required refreshing once upon a time, and that is a
>> different ball of wax from remounting.... But you certainly are right
>> that for today that is unacceptable.....
>>
>> Seems to me this was a known bug that was supposedly fixed like 5
>> years ago.... Did you check that history and turn up debug on your
>> daemons??
>
> This is a OSX issue and Apple doesn't consider this a bug. So it's
> never really been 'fixed'.
>
> Don't you have locking problems when using Windows, Mac OSX and linux
> sharing the same set of files across multiple protocols like that?
>
> Mike B.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature