[aklug] Re: Code blue, patient not responding

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 10:15:42 AKDT

Shane R. Spencer wrote:
> Hey. Boot insert.cd or an ubuntu desktop live cd. install cryptsetup then
> mount the crypt device. After you get done with all of that chroot into the
> mountpoint you just used and rebuild your initrd.
> Your kernel loads fine, it loads the initrd, the initrd doesn't have the ide
> drivers or some similar something module needed to initialize the IDE devices on
> the Dell.
>
> What distro, btw? In debian you just run 'update-initramfs -k all -u'

Thanks for the help. That's Debian Lenny (stable) for i386.

> Shane
>
> Christopher Howard wrote:
>> Hi. One of my servers at home got fried during a power fluctuation. It
>> was a Compaq Presario with an AMD Sempron (32-bit) processor (1.8 Ghz, I
>> think) and a 150 GB hard drive. The motherboard is toast, unfortunately,
>> but the hard drive seems to be intact and fully functional.
>>
>> I transplanted the hard drive to an older Dell Dimension 4100, with a 1
>> GHz, 32-bit Pentium III. My desire is to simply use this hard drive in
>> the Dell without wiping it or reinstalling anything. While there is no
>> critical data that would be lost by wiping the drive, it nevertheless
>> would be a real bother to start from scratch again, as it would mean
>> configuring afresh a lot of server settings and database configurations.
>> So I'd rather just boot the hard-drive in the new machine and continue
>> as before, minus some processing power.
>>
>> My problem: The hard drive utilized LVM layered on top of 256-bit
>> encryption. The boot directory was on one partition, and the other
>> partition was encrypted, with two logical volumes (if I remember
>> correctly). The system on the hard drive is a Debian Lenny 32-bit OS.
>>
>> The hard drive boots fine and goes through GRUB fine. But after it loads
>> the kernel, it comes to the place where it would normally ask for my
>> encryption passkey. Instead of that, I get this:
>>
>> START QUOTE
>> Volume group "alpha" not found
>> Volume group "alpha" not found
>> cryptsetup: source device /dev/hdc2 not found
>> cryptsetup: source device /dev/hdc2 not found
>> Begin: Waiting for root file system ... done.
>> Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
>> (... A few lines suggesting what might be the problem ...)
>> ALERT! /dev/mapper/alpha-001 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
>> END QUOTE
>>
>> Then it drops me to a BusyBox shell, with a minimal file-system which
>> does not include a home directory or any of the data from the encrypted
>> file-systems.
>>
>> I attempted to fix the problem by switching the hard drive to the other
>> IDE cable, but that had no effect. Anyone have an idea how I can fix
>> this? I have access to the PC's BIOS, as well as the GRUB menu (I
>> remember the password for making changes), as well as this busy box
>> shell. Is there a boot option or something I should change so that the
>> kernel knows where to look for the encrypted data?

> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
> -- File: signature.asc
> -- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature

- --
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us

I digitally sign /all/ of my e-mails via PGP. If you receive any e-mail
from me without my valid PGP signature, please take additional steps to
verify the authenticity of the message.