[aklug] Warning: Rant ahead. Was: selinux more trouble than it's worth?

From: Lee <lee@afabco.org>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 17:39:44 AKDT

Well, I was getting ready to fire off one of my trademarked pithy replies to the effect
'done that, didn't work'. I went in to copy the selinux config file and saw I'd
un-rem'ed the wrong line.

Original:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
# enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
# permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
# disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=enforcing
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
# targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
# strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Changed to:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
# enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
        permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing. <-
# disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=enforcing
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
# targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
# strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Should be:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
# enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
# permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
# disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=permissive
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
# targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
# strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

It's interesting that general consensus (here and other places I bitched about this at)
is to 'disable the security' to one degree or another. There's a moral there. I go to
security conferences every once in a while, and those folks all bemoan that the 'user'
or 'developer' or 'administrator' or 'anybody else' is the problem, and they bitch that
the first thing everyone does is turn off or otherwise compromise the security of a system.

Excuse me. The system -exists- so people can do work, be productive, etc. If they
can't do that then the system immediately becomes a boat anchor (or more likely a
millstone around somebody's neck). So the problem is not the user, the problem is the
thing that keeps the user from doing his or her job in an effective and efficient
manner. You can fill in the rest of the argument. It's old and standard rote.

Now, somebody always pipes up and says 'disable the security, tune it, work with it, and
reenable it'. Sounds good. In an ideal world there's time to do that. You know very
many in the workplace that have the luxury of being able to take the time to do things
right, rather than have to get it done right now?

I don't know the answer. I wish I did. But the current practices and paradigms aren't
it. Fiendishly complex passwords that expire every thirty days or three tries aren't
it. Disable by default isn't it (remember novell netware?)

But even if I did, there'd be all sorts of squabbling and resistance and NIH and
obstructionism and whatall (remember the squabbling over RSA and PGP in the 90's?)
Someone mentioned PK a bit earlier (and there's RSA SecureID and their ilk); that may be
the right path, but I bet it turns out to be like the X.509 mess, so complicated and
tied up in so many knots and so many special interests that it's hopelessly broken, as
the firefox folks have discovered and refuse to admit.

Ah well, I normally allow myself a ration of one rant a week, and I'm up to three just
for today, so I'd better stop before the keyboard breaks.

Peace and Long Life and all that.