[aklug] selinux more trouble than it's worth?

From: Lee <lee@afabco.org>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 11:02:07 AKDT

Well, I've just spent the last two days setting up a centralized syslog server on bare
metal.using centos5, mysql, php, phplogcon and apache2 All went well until I actually
started trying to, like, do useful stuff.

Nothing worked as expected.

9 out of 10 issues were selinux related.

And there are still issues, but at least stuff is working now.

So it seems to me at this point that selinux is way the hill more trouble than it's worth.

But before I deactivate selinux in disgust and consign it to the 'interesting idea way
more trouble than it's worth in real life' pile, I thought I'd see if others shared my
thinking, or whether consensus is that selinux is seen as a useful and practical thing.

Thanks.