[aklug] Re: Getting Public Key Signatures

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 13:43:48 AKDT

It's easier than that. print out your key fingerprint and ID then hand it to your friends, allow
them to check your ID and they should offer their key/fingerprint to you as well as long as some ID.
Then sign their key after downloading it to your machine. update the trustdb (in the man) and then
send all changed keys back to a keyserver.

I'd sign you.. but you're like a few hundred miles out of my way at the moment :)

Remember, when you sign somebodies key you acknowledge that you know them as well as you *trust*
them not to completely fubar they web of trust. You acknowledge that they are competent enough to
use this system.

- Shane

Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hopefully you'll be a little patient with a PGP newbie... quick question:
>
> I know I need to get people to sign my public key, but I don't really
> know how that works. I know (at least) two guys at work who use GPG, who
> I believe would sign my key. But before I asked I wanted to get a better
> idea of the process.
>
> So, do I just send each of them a copy of my public key and ask each of
> them to sign it, and when they send it back I import the signed keys
> back into my key-chain and back into the MIT key-server? Or does one
> person have to sign the key, and then the next person signs the signed
> key...?

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature