[aklug] A virtual server inside a virtual server

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 12:45:34 AKDT

A thought popped into my head about a week ago. Would it be possible to run a virtual server inside Amazons EC2 service? It looks that way... I did a quick Google search "openvz amazon ec2". Amazon lets you run custom kernels. I'm guessing I need the OpenVZ kernel. I haven't tried this yet but I hope it works.

Here's my problem.
1. I want to host my own eamil
2. I don't want to run another Amazon server
3. Email requires an SSL connection
4. I want to host more then one service with SSL

I'm not sure if OpenVZ is the answer. More research is needed. Here's my thinking...
1. Apache proxy on the Amazon EC2 server
2. Host everything inside OpenVZ instances
4. Forward connections to the OpneVZ instances

Okay, that's enough for now. My head hearts just thinking about virtual networks....

--
Damien Hull
Linux Ninja