[aklug] Re: My virtual server on Amazon

From: William Attwood <wattwood@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 12:23:56 AKDT

Each "Instance" is, in itself, useless for more than processing and storing
temporary files; luckily for us, that's primarily what we need.
EBS, or Elastic Block Storage, is used to store data for a long period of
time. You can format it any way you want, mount it to a single instance,
copy files off, unmount, or even encrypt all data to and from it (a large
waste of cycles if you ask me, of course, depending on the data).
I enjoy the Cloud, however, I'm not sure where it falls into PCI Compliance
when it comes to storing sensitive details; I suggest you use the cloud as a
processing center, and some physical data center for your important items,
like database storage, backups, and sensitive data - this way, you control
everything behind firewalls and security, while the "Cloud" may serve up
static content or non-sensitive information.

I also recommend looking into Rightscale - www.rightscale.com - if you're in
the Cloud.

--Will

Warm regards,