[aklug] Re: PGP signatures

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 16:49:54 AKDT

Matt Grimm wrote:
> Hm, that's odd. Gmail/FireGPG says it's a valid sig.
>
> Okay, this email will be signed with the same tool, but inline instead
> of attached. Please let me know if you notice any difference in
> validity.
>
> FWIW, I get an error validating your sig as well, although the best
> error message FireGPG can come up with is "This email is signed, but
> with a wrong signature."
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Kenneth D Weinert wrote:

>> Enigmail reports: =A0Error - No valid armored OpenPGP data block found
>>
>> matt.t.grimm@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Another test using a different signing tool -- this is with the FireGPG
>>> Firefox extension, using Gmail as the client.
>>> I can send a signed message to myself in Gmail and FireGPG is able to v=
erify
>>> the authenticity of the sig. I'm curious to see if Ecartis mangles the
>>> inlined attachment here too... I'll try attaching the sig first, and if=
 that
>>> doesn't work, I'll try inlining it.
>>>
>>> m.
>>>
>>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org> wrot=
e:
>>> Let's try this one more time.
>>>
>>> Jim MacDonald
>>> jim@macdonald.org[1]

>>> Here's what I got, so the information did come through:
>>>
>>> OpenPGP Security Info
>>>
>>> Error - signature verification failed
>>>
>>> gpg command line and output:
>>> /usr/bin/gpg --charset utf8 =A0--batch --no-tty --status-fd 2
>>> --keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve --keyserver
>>> pool.sks-keyservers.net[4] --verify
>>> gpg: Signature made Mon 11 May 2009 04:37:31 AM MDT using DSA key ID
>>> 288D5558
>>> gpg: requesting key 288D5558 from hkp server pool.sks-keyservers.net[5]
>>> gpg: key 288D5558: public key "Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org[6]>"
>>> imported
>>> gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
>>> gpg: depth: 0 =A0valid: =A0 1 =A0signed: =A0 0 =A0trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m=
, 0f, 1u
>>> gpg: next trustdb check due at 2012-07-23
>>> gpg: Total number processed: 1
>>> gpg: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 imported: 1
>>> gpg: BAD signature from "Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org[7]>"
>> - ---------
>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
>>> -- File: PGP.sig
>>> -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
>>
>>> ---------
>>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>

>>> --- Links ---
>>> =A0 =A01 mailto:jim@macdonald.org
>>> =A0 =A02 mailto:jim@macdonald.org
>>> =A0 =A03 mailto:jim@macdonald.org
>>> =A0 =A04 http://pool.sks-keyservers.net
>>> =A0 =A05 http://pool.sks-keyservers.net
>>> =A0 =A06 mailto:jim@macdonald.org
>>> =A0 =A07 mailto:jim@macdonald.org
>>> =A0 =A08 http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>>> =A0 =A09 mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org
> [...]

On Matt's e-mail, Icedove gave me:

gpg command line and output:,/usr/bin/gpg --charset utf8 --batch
- --no-tty --status-fd 2 -d,gpg: CRC error; D9B6C1 - DC3D9B

- --
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us

I digitally sign /all/ of my e-mails via PGP. If you receive any e-mail
from me without my valid PGP signature, please take additional steps to
verify the authenticity of the message.