[aklug] Re: What certifications should one have?

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 18:42:08 AKDT

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Arthur Corliss
<acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> wrote:
> While I know I'm not the prototypical employer when it comes to hiring, I
> don't believe my experience is unique. =A0In short, Microsoft certificati=
ons
> are worthless. =A0The fact is that Microsoft, in their zeal to make in an=
other
> cash cow, turned certification into a paper mill. =A0I've had a endless n=
umber
> of MS-certified jackasses interview for my positions and it takes little
> time to disqualify them. =A0Prospects with the other certs typically fare=
 much
> better.

Most of us could probably go on and on and on about how a true well
oiled economy doesn't need MS pedigrees to sustain itself. Nor do the
workers under it.

You may end up with an awesome job because of the certs, but are you
really that awesome of an employee if you don't challenge yourself
outside of the certs requirements? Maybe you do however. Do you just
look past the problems you see when a company kowtows to false
authority simply because they cannot gauge quality employees on their
own?

What about you unfortunate folk that end up getting the certs followed
by a boring job simply because you needed one. You're awesome - go be
awesome somewhere that likes awesomeness.

Your resume, your personal achievements outside of certificates, your
interests in applying your profession to your own life, and your
ability to hold a conversation about the work being done by the
company are what I would prize the most if anybody would ever let me
hire anybody. Probably not the best idea. I'd throw reviews by
previous employers in there.. but I'd fail that hands down.

This awesome email brought to you by,

Shane