[aklug] Re: What certifications should one have?

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 02 2009 - 13:29:30 AKDT

I would not be so hasty to dismiss the Microsoft certs in this economy. As much as I hate the idea, there are very few IT shops(internal or outsourced) that only deal with Linux. Everybody else almost always wants you to know something about Windows. They are good to have, and there is usually more money to be made in working on Windows than on Linux, because there are more boxes with it and it needs more maintanence. This usually tends to mean more job openings for people who are Microsft certified as apposed to Linux certified only. I don't always like reality, but reality is what it is.

I would also recomend getting a security cert of some kind. You can start with the entry level such as Comptia's Security+ and work your way into something more advanced. A good way to go with this is the Cisco Security route if you're looking to go network admin over sys admin. It is not the most widely recognised or asked for though. That would probably fall to CISSP. Which one you aim for in the long run might be dictated by what direction your career is headed.

I would also recomend learning something about a database and getting a certification in it. MySQL offers one. MS SQL is probably one that has the biggest growth rate right now, but I have not seen the numbers lately so if I'm wrong, somebody point it out please.(And point me to whatever source you got it from please). It might also help demonstrating to a prospective employer that you know something about Microsoft products. One of the better paying databases in previous history is Oracle. If you can show you are adept at one, sometimes you can get hired on with the idea that you can easily and quickly come up to speed on another SQL database than the one certified for.

Keep in mind also that while specializing in something helps you to do a good job at it, more and more employers, especialy in this financial downturn, are looking for people with a wider range of skills. They might you to primarily work on a mail server, but your knowing a bit about how to make that brand of mail server work better with a competing brand of domain server might look more apealing than the next person who only knows that specific mail server.

Just my 2 cents.