[aklug] keeping personal papers encrypted

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 13:46:19 AKDT

All this talk about encryption made me start wondering.....

There was some conversation in my past about having copies of your =20
passport and other important papers when traveling on the off chance =20
that you misplace or they are stolen.

This seems like a good idea right off the bat, except the possibility =20
that I lose those copies.

So it got me thinking that I could just scan these docs and stick them =20
on a USB stick or something.

However, there is still the possibility of loosing that as well.

So now we get to the meat of things...let's use PGP encryption. This =20
is all well and good, but the thought ran across my mind...OK, I've =20
lost or had my paper versions of the documents stolen...now I got to =20
go and find a PC to unencrypt the stuff on the USB stick.

But if I did all this in linux, I'm may have some trouble. Guess I =20
could make the stick bootable...

Also thought I could just add Windows/Mac executeables.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Mike B.