[aklug] unofficial mirror (was: Re: Re: Ubuntu 9.04 is out)

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 09:03:55 AKDT

Shane R. Spencer wrote, on 4/23/2009 8:26 AM:
> Leif Sawyer wrote:
>> I'll try to get some local mirrors going.=20

> Can you set up a torrent tracker/seeder somewhere. We'd need somebody
> on an ACS pipe to do the same.

No torrent yet, not very polished, this is not an official product or
anything, best effort, not supported by $EMPLOYER, low priority, judges'
decisions are final, close cover before striking, do not stare directly
into the sun, etc.:

    http://mirrors.acsalaska.net/

As the blurb on the front page says:

"Most mirrors here are partial. Priority is given to i386 and amd64
platforms, ISOs, English, and the latest stable releases. There are
currently only a few packages and ports available here, with more planned."

There's a decided FreeBSD bias :-), but there's also a little bit of
Debian, Fedora, Knoppix, and OpenSolaris.

There's also a crude nightly IOS index of sorts generated:

    http://mirrors.acsalaska.net/pub/ISO-INDEX.html

Only HTTP and rsync are up right now; no torrent participation or FTP,
but you can at least grab the ISOs:

    http://mirrors.acsalaska.net/pub/Linux/ubuntu/CDs/releases/9.04/

... and some limited rsync access:

$ rsync rsync://mirrors.acsalaska.net/

[snip]

freebsd FreeBSD releases and ISOs
freebsd-archive Selected contents from ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/
freebsd-ports FreeBSD ports tree, updated every ~24 hours
freebsd-src_6_3 FreeBSD RELENG_6_3 source tree, tracking -SECURITY
linux Linux releases and ISOs

It hasn't been tweaked to take any load yet; guess we'll find out how it
does! :-)

Royce