[aklug] Re: Netbooks

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 10:52:50 AKDT

I had a rare chance to buy myself something a few months back, right as the=
 Acer Aspire One hit the market in curent form, and I decided that I probab=
ly would not get a chance again so I bought one.

It came with
1.6 ghz Atom(which is reporting itself to be dual core)
1 gb ram
160 gb hard drive I think( might be 120 but I think 160)
Windows XP

It did not include=20
an optical drive of any kind
restore disks of any kind
floppy drive

It is not intended to be a notebook replaceent. It is not intended to do su=
ch things as gaming, graphics work, etc. What it is meant to be is a means =
to get on the internet, do e-mail, write, etc. In that context I'm very hap=
py with it. The screen is a little harder to read than my laptop, and I don=
't run heavy programs like Office, FrontPage, or games, so I'm not quite su=
re how well some of them would run on it. But I can sure use it to code PHP=
 and MySQL, from just about anywhere in the world. I don't use it as often =
as I might because I sit in front of a desktop most of the time, but I have=
 used it and it works just great for what I wanted it for. And the price is=
 very hard to beat right now. I've seen the price reduced to under $300 a m=
onth or two back. All the rest cost more, some costing as much as $900. I'v=
e seen many with smaller, or none, hard drive, smaller screens, or coming w=
ith Vista installed. That was one of the biggest reasons I bought it
 rather than a laptop, it did not have Vista.

I did get a few things to go with it, and I recomend anybody getting one do=
 the same. I bought an external DVD burner to back up data, and watch movie=
s while on road trips. I bought Norton Ghost to make an image before I even=
 used it. They have a drive to drive system that works off a hidden partiti=
on to perform a restore if need be, but what happens if that is corrupted o=
r infected? As with any Windows machine I also picked up antivirus/firewall=
 as well. Have to buy the last two with any new Windows computer as the one=
s that come with ususally only last three months, so I don't hold that agai=
nst the Aspire One.

I stood there in the store last week recomending it to another customer ove=
r the other netbooks, so I guess I'm happy with the purchase.

Is that the kind of write up you're looking for for your paper?