[aklug] Re: Virus protection fake

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 12:04:09 AKDT

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Richard Moore wrote:

> Yeah it is the SmitFruad virus, it is extremely hard to get off windows ,
> they actually just released the patch last week for vista, but if you have
> sp3 for xp you should not get it.
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM, captgoodnight captgoodnight <
> captgoodnight@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I hate that thing! It's no fun with 300+ employees on windows.
>> grrrrr
>> --eddie
>>

>>> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:59:33 -0800
>>> From: barjunk@attglobal.net
>>> To: aklug@aklug.org
>>> Subject: [aklug] Virus protection fake
>>>
>>> My kids were recently doing some research on the web about a State
>> project.
>>>
>>> They were using firefox and ran across a website that claimed my
>>> computer had a virus.
>>>
>>> Because my children are diligent, they clicked on the thing that says,
>>> 'fix this now'.
>>>
>>> What this did is try to download software to the local machine.
>>>
>>> Lucky for me, they were on a one of our Linux boxes and nothing bad
>>> happened, however, the site was VERY persistent in trying to get us to
>>> download the software.
>>>
>>> The screens looked very much like a windows dialog box and if I hadn't
>>> known any better, I'd a thought I had a real problem.
>>>
>>> This is becoming more and more sophisticated way to infect machines
>>> with malware and viruses.
>>>
>>> All the more reason to switch to Linux in my opinion.
>>>
>>> Mike B.

Yeah, my Mom's laptop was taken over by a rogue anti-virus program. It
provided her with a very professional interface (aside from the fact that
the buttons didn't work!) which called itself "Windows security" and told
her she had 30+ viruses.

She was completely duped. But fortunately, when they asked for her credit
card number, she decided to check with me first to see if there was a free
fix.

Unfortunately, I wasn't at liberty to switch her over to Linux. But I did
get her using Firefox + no script, plus better account security and
anti-virus tools.

--
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us