[aklug] Re: ARrrgg

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 18:25:28 AKDT

Christopher Howard wrote:

> MSN contacts?!? MSN is a swear word on my network.
>
> I doubt the government would want any of the info on my hard drives.
> More for protection against robbers and hacker friends. Gives me a good
> feeling knowing that all my passwords, SSH keys, financial information,
> etc. would be a little harder to get to than just a simple BIOS reset
> and a boot into a knoppix CD.
>
> Actually my primary input system (virtual console) was working fine.
> Just couldn't start X11. Installing the NVIDIA drivers fixed everything.

Hackers work off of live systems :) once booted your drive is no longer
encrypted for most purposes. Robbers however are still gonna have a
fit.. true enough.

I figured most of the sensitive information would come from say firefox
and a bunch of applications that store password information.

If I could suggest a more session based approach toward encrypting
things it will speed up your overall system access. Unless /home is the
only encrypted partition. Check out encfs and ecryptfs. I believe
ubuntu uses ecryptfs 8.10 on during the install of the system and offers
to make a private directory for the default user inside of their home
directory.

Meh..

Shane

-- File: signature.asc