[aklug] Re: Adventures in wine

From: markt9 <virtuallug.com@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 10:04:00 AKDT

I agree that wine is much better these days. My son plays World of
Warcraft on his Ubuntu box under wine.

I find the older win98 stuff mostly works, and any new game that is not
on their gold list pretty much won't, especially if it needs DirectX stuff.

I finally got my wife to switch to Linux about 6 months ago, and set her
up with the Sun VirtualBox from their web site so I could get the USB
support that I think is not in the open source edition of virtual box.

She still uses her Quickbooks on XP, and I used it for TurboTax this
year as well. Other than those two, we seem to get what we need on Ubuntu.

The virtual box "transparent mode" is awesome running XP. I found some
operating systems that did not seem to have the necessary drivers to
support it, or at least not easily for me, (win7, fedora, debian) but I
only need XP every once in a while, and it is very usable even without
transparent mode enabled.

(sorry if topposting is discouraged)