[aklug] Re: Turbo Tax and Linux

From: Alan C. <r.andom@noshut.com>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 10:01:07 AKDT

I've stopped trying to make things PC compatible or make PC apps run
on other OS's - now I just use alternative solutions, the only thing I
boot windows for (especially with the new version of MS Office for the
Mac, which eliminates my need for Outlook on the PC at work) these
days are little utilities that I haven't found online tools for,
firmware updaters and editing Visio documents. Visio is the most
important of those and I'm hunting at this time for a technical
drawing solution for the Mac.

I've used Taxact Online (http://www.taxact.com) to do taxes for the
last 3+ years with no issues between my Mac and PC (Getting a Mac a
few years back stole most of the thunder from maintaining a Linux
desktop so I haven't tested it on Linux).

Even though Quicken online is very early in it's life I'm now using
that for my home finances, it isn't near as feature filled as the full
software version, but it does what I need it to do (sync all my
transactions) since I use a spreadsheet for tracking my bills, etc. (http://www.noshut.com/blogfiles/Bill_Tracker_Clean.xls
). I haven't tested linux compatibility with either product, but they
both support Firefox on the Mac.

-Alan