[aklug] Re: xml based inventory system

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 08:59:56 AKDT

Marc Grober wrote:
> Shane, I had looked at something at one time to help a
> student out with her thesis that might interest you - google
> docs can be parsed via a php without much effort.... make a
> nice little project that you could then offer to someone as
> a programming lesson plan....

Interesting.. and I'm going to pass that on to some newbie friends
looking to get into PHP. Getting spreadsheet access from google will
solve a few of their problems. I'm used to working with python-gdata
for that info.

I was thinking more on the lines of an online personal library of ..
stuff .. that you could share socially, a little similar to Delicious
Monster which somebody pointed out the other day. I imagine the
category building would be somewhat Wiki like and hardware, software,
videos, cds, paintings, lawn mowers, sculptures, and other random
components could be linked against several vendors and prices could be
estimated. I'd love to get appraisers interested in the system and
appraising one item and relating values to the product based on the
condition of all like items in the system (grouped) would be exciting.
Kinda like the Internet version of Antique Roadshow. :)

Ever since I was a kiddo I always have had SOO MUCH JUNK and it was
really easy for me to swap out a PCI card at school with a friend.. The
great hardware exchange we called it. However there were larger scale
mailing list solutions for that as well.

Craigslist, as somebody mentioned before, is nowhere near as detailed as
it needs to be. It doesn't offer a common specs system where people
selling like items can share eachothers photos and quickly put things
out there for trade or money. A system like this with a good enough
user base could also augment the data on say, wikispecs.org and possibly
 offer a much larger and up to date hardware catalog and a user
generated compatibility chart.

It would be totally spiffy to be able to see how geeky your neighborhood
is as well :) Also burglers wouldn't even have to scope out a
neighborhood for a week to estimate its value.. so thats a plus!

Obviously there is some working out to be done.

- Shane

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature