[aklug] Automounting to the directory of your choice

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 14:24:09 AKDT

This is sort of a follow-up to the udev stuff that was posted a while back.

My particular goal was to ensure that the external harddrive I was =20
using was always mounted the way I wanted.

Here are a list of my criteria:

  - needed to be mounted uid 'mbarsalou'
  - needed to be mounted gid 'shared'
  - wanted to ensure that world couldn't write to it
  - needed to mount it on a mountpoint called '/media/My Book'

The udev discussion we had before allows us to "rename" the actual =20
device name if we want to. This can help us make specific device =20
names and mount them to specifica locations with specific =20
settings...the ultimate in control.

Cases that might need this include having multiple external HD's or =20
devices that cause other devices names to change.

In my case I only have the one external HD and the device name that is =20
given to it is /dev/sda. The partition I need is /dev/sda1.

I'm doing some samba sharing here because of the need to use my iTunes =20
library across multiple disparate machines, but that is out of scope =20
for this message.

Also, notice the mount point '/media/My Book' has a space in the name. =20
  I could change this by relabling the drive, however, I have =20
discovered in a previous try that it would erase the entire volume.

Here is what my fstab looks like:

/dev/sda1 /media/My\040Book auto umask=3D0002,uid=3Dbarsalou,gid=3Dsha=
red

Notice the '\040'? That is an octal space character.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Mike B.