[aklug] Data recovery with foremost

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 09:25:16 AKDT

I got up this morning and reached for the black berry. In my half awake state I deleted a directory of pictures. Whoops! I remembered something I had read in 2600 about "foremost". Tried using it when my other SD card went bad. Anyway, pulled the SD card out of the BlackBerry and prepared for data recovery.

STEPS
1. Get a mocha - need to be awake for this
2. apt-get install foremost
3. Attached usb/SD card addapter to laptop
4. Tried to remember how to recover bits without overwriting anything
5. umount the SD card - was auto mounted
6. fdisk -l
7. dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=sdimage.dd (ur device might be different)
8. Wait....
9. foremost sdimage.dd
10. Wait...
11. Search for my missing images

NOTE: some steps must be done as root

I'm happy to report that I was able to recover my pictures. Lost two of them. They were partially recovered. No big deal. Didn't need those two anyway.

Nothing like early morning data recovery.

--
Damien Hull
Linux Ninja